Sunday, July 14, 2013

And now more running!

The very next day after we got back from Asia, we both went back to work.  And shockingly, we weren't completely destroyed by jet lag.  Maybe we were a little more tired than average at bedtime, but that was seriously it.  I was confused, but grateful...because 3 days later, we boarded a flight to participate in our annual ritual of running the Indy Mini half marathon.


Oh, and did I mention that this was another redeye?

I'll spare you all the details of us almost missing that flight (I've never heard them call my name over the loudspeaker before!).  Suffice it to say, our jaunt through the airport was basically the first time we've run at all since we went on vacation.  And we were on our way to run 13 miles.  Ironic, no?

THIS was when the jet lag finally caught up - not when we crossed 12.5 time zones, but when we crossed three.  We got into Indy at 6am.  If you’re keeping track, that’s 3am California time, and 3:30pm the next day India time.  And we had just gotten off a 5-hour plane ride after a full day of work.  Our bodies had no idea what time it was or what country we were in.  I guess you could say what we were feeling was fatigue, but that doesn’t nearly capture the entirety of how messed up we were.  We were sleep-deprived and discombobulated, I was getting a cold, David already had a cold and it was moving down to his chest, and we both seemed to have caught some bug at our last stop in Asia that was messing up our insides.

When we finally started the race, we were so over-medicated, it was laughable.

But we had a day in Indy before the race, so we stopped by Bob Evans for breakfast in David's old 'hood.  We struck up a conversation with Sandy, our server, who has been working there for years and years.  David mentioned that his family used to come there every V-Day, and Sandy immediately said, “Oh, I know you!  How’s your mom?  And your sisters?  Wasn’t there a brother?”  Adorable. 

But back to the race - there was a very moving element that we saw all over the place: shout-outs to Boston. This race was one month after the bombing at the finish line of the Boston Marathon (as a runner, I've had a hard time not taking that one personally), and we saw memorials all around, in t-shirts and signs people had made. It was very touching. It gave new meaning to what we were doing. And at the starting line, before the race began, they played “Sweet Caroline,” the song that is sung during the 7th inning stretch of every single Boston Red Sox baseball game at Fenway. It brought tears to my eyes as I sang along then, and it brings tears to my eyes as I think back on it now. Well played, Indy.  Well played.







As for the race itself, I had a great time. We trained hard before our vacation, and that seems to have carried us through.  I felt strong, and I didn’t get a single blister – a first for me and half marathons!  (It’s probably because I actually thought ahead and brought moleskin this time.)  












David's cold was seriously taking it out of him for the last 3 miles, so I was the one pep-talking him through the end - especially during that blasted "Miracle Mile."    





When we neared and crossed the finish line, I actually had a bounce in my step.  It was far and away the easiest half-marathon home stretch I’ve ever had. 



















It made me happy that I could give back to David for all the race endings he’s coaxed me through.

No comments: