Monday, July 20, 2009

Think of the children in Africa!!

So here's why CHOICE is awesome. In particular, Bekah UT:

She comes up with kickin' excuses for us to get out of the office!!

This time, we visited a school in the village of Mulunguni to conduct an art project with the kids.

We asked them to draw whatever they wanted, which very consistently (and with no collaboration) tended to be huts, cars, trees, and people with frowny faces.

We took a little bio of each kid and snapped a photo of them with their art. CHOICE is going to frame the drawings and auction them off, in order to (a) get a little extra funding for the school, and (b) get a lot of extra exposure for what they do. I'm a fan of CHOICE, so I don't mind shamelessly promoting their awesomeness.

See that line of kids in the background here?

They're all getting lunch, courtesy of the USAID School Feeding Program. For some of these kids, this is their incentive to come to school. Pretty brilliant strategy, if you ask me.

School ended around the time we finished the project, and EVERYONE (several hundred kids) surrounded us, just watching and waiting for whatever form of entertainment we would provide. We played some games with them, they sang some songs for us, and of course we pulled out the ol' cameras and captured some dazzling shots.




I have a video of Nicole taking a picture of some kids, then all the kids crowding around to see it and cheering when they got to see themselves...it's priceless. Once I'm back in the land of high bandwidth, I promise I'll share.

For those of you counting down, the number is four.

8 comments:

David Chipman said...

4 is a great number. I strongly support it, but my support will grow for 3 as well. Abby, these are great pictures! What a great way to finish your time in Kenya!

David and Debby said...

abby, these children are so beautiful. where can i go to buy a picture? mom

Crystal said...

Love the photos. I could hear them chattering in the background. What a lovely impression I am sure they will have of you and Bekah.

Children are right next to divinity.

All of them, no matter where you are, it is an amazing, universal blessing we all have around us. I also love the boys in pink shirts. Asher has a pink shirt (and a pink tie) that Matt won't let me put on him. I may have to use this photo essay as proof that it is "ok"

Jason and Dana said...

Wait, who's counting???? hehehe.
In case you're counting the days til you get to see ME, the number is 18. Yayayayayay!
I'm with mom, where can you buy these framed pictures? I hope they go for more than I can afford to pay though, that'd be awesome.

abbynormal said...

I will ask Bekah UT where they'll be selling the art. I'm assuming it'll somehow be linked to their website, choicehumanitarian.org.

craig&susan said...

What amazing pictures. Is that 4 days until you leave? what next? keep me posted.love ya.

abbynormal said...

Susie, my next adventure is Idaho, next week. Please come visit.

Karen said...

Abby - thanks so much for sharing this marvelous journey with us all. I love the children. I love it all! You've got some GREAT shots!