Thursday, July 23, 2009

Calvary Zion

This is Jane. She is an angel.

Allow me to elaborate.

About 10 years ago, she started up an orphanage (which is run more like a foster home) in a neighborhood of Mombasa called Bamburi. She calls it Calvary Zion Children's Home, and all of the adopted kids consider her to be their mother and use the last name of Zion. They range from 1 to 18 years of age, and they've come at all different stages of life - the youngest, Jeremy, was one day old when Jane took him in. Over 10 years, she has probably taken in 50 children - and there are currently 39. These kids all have a roof over their heads, they're well-fed, they're given an education (six are currently in boarding school), and they seem to be emotionally healthy. Most importantly, they are loved. Considering what some of them came from, this is no small feat. In short, it is angelic.

Calvary Zion was a collaborative effort with six other ladies, including Rosemary, a co-worker of mine. They all worked together to get it up and running, and now Jane is holding down the fort. Rosemary had been telling us about the orphanage for some time, but sadly I didn't get a chance to pay them a visit until Sunday.

If I had more time, I would pay many more visits.

I'd like to make a few introductions.

This is Mercy. She's got spunk! She loved playing with my purse and making my watch glow.

This is Prince and Susan. (There is also a Princess.) Prince loves soccer. Susan's got lots of energy, and she gets attached fast.

This is my co-worker, Rosemary. Heart of gold, she has.

I can't remember all of the names - thus, why I wish I could go back more. But I won't forget the hope they made me feel.


I also got to play with some kids at church, and teach them to make some faces.



This was my last Sunday at the Changamwe Branch. I miss it already. I had one last chance to learn from my favorite Relief Society teacher and the most outspoken group of RS ladies I've ever known. We had a nice lesson about talents, and just for you, I'll share a highlight. We were going around the room, each of us saying what one of our talents was. One woman (who I believe is actually fairly new to the church) said, "I'm good at helping people," and the class immediately erupted into adamant declarations of "That's not a talent!!" Oh my. Fortunately, Andi raised her hand and commented that it actually could be considered a talent. Thank you, damage control.

Spending so much time with children over the past week has buoyed me up in ways I didn't expect. My days are flying by now in a major way, and I'm starting to feel a little nostalgia for this place. Isn't that not supposed to happen until after I'm gone?? I guess all I had to do was exactly what I expected to be doing since I got here: getting out to villages and spending time with people.

9 comments:

Jason and Dana said...

Abby, what an amazing place. You know what? I'm feeling a little nostalgic myself, is that weird? Well anyway, I'm really going to miss all your blog posts about a completely different kind of life.
Random question, hopefully not offensive, but is that white looking kid albino, or is he white?

Crystal said...

AWW, you are going to miss Africa and I am going to miss reading about it. It is interesting. I had a dream I adopted (WE adopted) a black baby last night. Then I saw this little guy who was dark with the prettiest eyes and eye lashes with his momma who was white and I remembered that dream last night and these pictures reminded me again. I think all children are so beautiful, but there is something so precious and pure about the love that African babies have for other people.
Bon Voyage, I hope you get sleep and we CAN come visit, BTW if you are not too busy with (ahem) other things (David). The temple re-opens from maintenance on Tuesday. The whole time you were gone, it was closed ;-)

Crystal said...

PS- are the church meetings in English? and helping people is totally a talent (gift) that is amazing.

Colin & Lori said...

I am nostalgic for you too!! Such a great, great, great adventure. I wish I could be at the airport to see you come home. We love you and can't wait to see you!!!

David and Debby said...

thanks, abby for this wonderful last post. once again, what beautiful children. i love them just looking at them. have a safe, uneventful trip home. my prayers are shooting up to heaven and out your way. xooxxoxoxoxoxoxo you know who

abbynormal said...

Dana - not offensive, you're just curious. And yes, he's an albino. You can tell by the facial features and his hair, which I guess you can't see.
Crystal - Tuesday it is. And yes, church here is in English. Most of the time. :)
Mom - Fortunately I found out about a five-hour extension of my safe, uneventful trip BEFORE I left. That could have been a real ugly discovery, after 25 hours of travel. Now at least I'm mentally prepared.

David Chipman said...

Safe travels!!

rebeccaV said...

Okay, you caught me with my defenses down. I have been moving/taking care of kids all day and I am super tired. I took a break to read your blog and I am totally crying right now...about it all!! I am behind on a few posts, so I am playing catch up. I am also feeling so nostalgic for you, what an amazing adventure!! Also, the CHILDREN!!! How amazing are they. The foster mom, what an angel. I have gained such a vicarious love for the children of Kenya through you. You can see so much in their eyes, I can see how spending a little time with them could completely change your life. You are so awesome, I can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks!!

David and Debby said...

Proud of you I am.
Dad