Friday, July 31, 2009

Learning to live with my temporary handicap

So, maybe over time I'll get better at being lazy, but so far I've been a restless recovering patient. Feeling good, though! Here's my track record so far:

Day 1:
I didn't go under the knife until the early afternoon, so I took a nice, long commemorative run around Barts Field before consigning myself to immobility. It was delightful.

I'm always amazed (after the fact, of course) at how fast anesthesia knocks me out (all two times I've experienced it, that is). The anesthesiologist was good to me: after the surgery, my feet were completely numb for the rest of the day. I was in a semi-groggy stupor until bedtime. I'm pretty sure I provided some quality entertainment to anyone and everyone in my vicinity.

Of course, the doc was good to me, too. I asked him how my new and improved feet looked, and he said they were perfect. He's good like that. I'm guessing he took a little extra time to make things just right, since he'll have to look at his handiwork for the rest of his life. And also because he loves me. :) He says they usually try to set records for how fast they perform this particular procedure. In my case, I may have broken the record for the longest ever.

Day 2:
* Woke up at 4:00am to take some pain meds. Dad says this will be the worst day of all. Thank you, modern medicine, for such goodness as Hydrocodone - despite the fun side effects I know are coming.
* Had a lovely conversation with my favorite International Strategic Sourcing Manager.
* Got breakfast in bed because my mom is AWESOME.
* Sewed Kenya and Tanzania patches onto my backpack.

* "Worked out" as best I could with my feet elevated using my blessed borrowed stretchy band
* Had a long chat with a good friend I haven't talked to since before Kenya.
* Took some goofy pics of what it's like to be immobile.







* Took a field trip to Winger's to get out of the house (thanks, mom!).
* Caught up on some school-related emails I've been neglecting all summer.
* Got in touch with some Yehu constituents I've needed to contact post-internship.
* Took some more goofy pics of my awesome half-platform post-op shoes. I think I could start a fad with these hot shoes. Don't you agree?







* Figured out my entire class schedule for this coming Fall and Spring.
* Tried to start a document I promised to create for Yehu after I left...and failed. Better luck tomorrow. Or Monday. Or not.
*Updated my Kogod Yehu blog with an entry that looks a lot like one I already gave you here...just with a little bit more business talk added in for good measure.
*Cleaned out my email box. It's actually empty.

I'm running out of "to do" items, and it's only one day in. Fortunately, I've got some good books to keep boredom from setting in over the next couple weeks. And I guess I could always watch TV...is it odd that I didn't once think to turn on the TV all day?

Pocatello friends: Come visit! Pander to me! Please!

8 comments:

David and Debby said...

I will testify to abby's activities today. i laid on the bed--the one where all the photos are--and quickly fell asleep. haven't had such a great nap in a long time. happy healing! mom

David Chipman said...

I'm not a Pocatello friend, but I'll come visit. It looks like the TV could be your new friend! Maybe we should have planned a DVR agenda and then made an Abby's recovering mix for you....
past episodes from The Office
US news shows from the past 2 months
etc.

Hope the recovery continues to go well!

chippy46 said...

I can't tell which is the best foot you are putting forward! Lucky you, Lots of good books to read. Hna Chipman would be jealous.

PC

craig&susan said...

I'm a pocatello friend, so I'll see you soon:)

David and Debby said...

The surgery was technically perfect. The post-op x-rays looked optimal. Now for a perfect recovery followed by an awesome life... Your energy and sense of adventure will help with the rehab.
Dad

Karen said...

Abby - these pictures of me remind me of the princess and the pea - with all those wonderful pillows and white sheets etc. What a change from where you've been... I've been reading the past blogs with all the children and am absolutely taken with the experiences you've had. What an enormous opportunity to grow and love others.

As for sitting still -- that's a tough one. I'm like you in wanting things to do. Thanks for keeping us all up to date with things going on around your land of awesome. What's next Abby? How about a visit??

I'm not from Pocatello, but I know someone who likes to visit.

Jason and Dana said...

I bet you're the best patient ever, despite you not wanting to lay around all day. I can't wait to see you! I hope the drugs are still working. Or maybe you're feeling so much better you don't even need them.

Camille said...

hope you feel better!!
jtlindsay