Wednesday, December 03, 2008

XBOX360PS3WII

I'm always talking about out-of-school adventures, so I'll digress for a moment to let you into my campus world.  I guess it's about time, since I'm about to hit finals week and thus finish one quarter of the ride.

Fun thing about business school is that you get to pick topics for projects that are so far out there, but everyone uses business, so it still applies!  (Ironically, I used to say that about Stats...well, I still say that.  Guess I just like things that apply to everyone.)  
To give you a taste, I've been doing a whole lot of industry and competitor analysis on video game consoles. So yes, we could play Wii and call it "research."  (Other semester variations include the pursuing prospect of opening a Ritz in  South Africa and researching the economic-based history of telephony - from telegraph to cell phones to VoIP.  Isn't B-school awesome?)   Now, I feel like a fountain of console knowledge.  Want to know the history?  I'll tell you about the Brown Box.  Where'd PlayStation come from?  I know that, too.  Marketing strategies - Blue Ocean, anyone?  Competitive advantages?  Bring it on.  Maybe that doesn't strike everyone else as such a cool thing, but I guess that's why I'm here.  Here is my dynamic posse who also knows everything console.
I like learning.  My brain is having a grand time being back in academia.  

6 comments:

Leslie said...

Abby, sounds like a lot of fun and definitely very interesting! And that's a pretty good-looking group you got there. (Does that happen to be your Thailand suit you're wearing? Glad to see you're putting it to good use.)

So, being the console expert, any particular game you'd recommend? I've always been kind of anti-video games, but I've considered buying the wii to include it as part of my fitness routine (and Alex's hopefully), especially now that you can buy wii fit. what do you think?

Leslie said...

P.S. Sorry again that I dropped the ball with my Microsoft contact. Glad everything worked out anyhow!

Jason and Dana said...

I just played Wii fit yesterday during play group (while the kids were outside dumping buckets of rocks down the slide) and it was soooo fun!!! I really want a Wii too Les. Plus I've never tried Guitar Hero or Rock Band, and I'm dying to try!

abbynormal said...

Les, I'm anti-video games too, that's the irony! But I'd go for Wii if you're trying to pick a console. It's more geared to the less-avid crowd. Wii fit is great. I've tried it before. Also Wii music just came out, it should be pretty cool.
Dana, I have tried Rock Band. LOVE it. I could play for hours. Which is not like me with anything video game-related. I'm always pushing my friends who own it to throw Rock Band parties so I can come play.

rebeccaV said...

We are getting a Wii for Christmas. I talked to Abby a lot about it at Thanksgiving. It seems like the most kid-friendly and the kids are actually up and moving when they play the games. I also really want to get the fit board. They have some really fun games kids can play with it and adults can use it to work out. I've heard it really works your core, which I will REALLY be needing in about a month!!

B-school sounds awesome Abby!!

David and Debby said...

abby, just saw a commercial. vtech is imitating wii. they show some kids moving around while they are playing a video game, because as they move the characters move on the screen. these kids were preschoolers. interesting........