Monday, November 03, 2008

My pride and joy

...at least that's the running joke.  But it's only partially untrue.  This is my backpack:

and it really is a source of pride for me.  It represents all the countries I've had the privilege of visiting since I graduated from High School.  Something I didn't expect, however, is how much of a conversation-starter it has been.  In case you didn't know, I am a big fan of conversation starters - especially with fellow commuters on the metro.  I live in somewhat of an anonymous town where strangers like to ignore each other, so I like to do what I can to mix things up a little.  It's the reason I used to carry a Scooby Doo or Hello Kitty lunch box to work every day.  It tells the world, "Hey!  I am approachable!  Go ahead - approach me!"  

Today was a happy example.  I had two different people comment about my backpack on my way home from school.  One of them was a Lucy, a Colombian woman who began conversing with me in Spanish, asking where the Colombia patch was.  (I guess all the Spanish-speaking patches boosted her confidence in my Espanish-espeaking eskills.)  By the end of the ride, she had me convinced that I needed to add her beautiful country to my list of places I must go. 

She's very persuasive.

3 comments:

Jason and Dana said...

So when are you going to Columbia?

abbynormal said...

Timing is up in the air. Most likely after I graduate...after I go to Jerusalem, and Egypt, and Greece, and India, and Australia/New Zealand...or maybe somewhere in the middle of that. Depends on funds available. Maybe I could hit up Machu Picchu on the same trip? Columbia made it on the list, but it's a long list!

Jason and Dana said...

Hahaha, Greece is #1 on my list!