Monday, November 10, 2008

Hockey is the new awesome

Or maybe it's always been awesome.  It can be the awesome for last week.  I attended the Caps-Canes game with several classmates.  We even got hooked up with a backstage "tour," which consisted of a sprint through the basement - past the zambonis, all the basketball court pieces, and the caps locker room.
For the record, I have always wanted to ride a zamboni.  There were some little kids that got to ride with the zamboni drivers between periods of the game - I was green with envy.  If anyone knows a zamboni driver that would hook a sister up, I would be most obliged.  But I digress.

I've seen lots of hockey games in my life.  But I think this one was the best I've ever seen.  Really!  Check out this lineup...
*We got to see a fight (a GOOD one!  The gloves came off and they even hit the floor before the refs tore them apart!)
*The entertainment between both periods was most excellent (one was a race between a bunch of hockey pucks, shown below.  It ended with the blue one diving into the net FTW.  The other was a bunch of kids playing hockey - one kid dominated so much, he could probably play with the Caps right now, and I'd pick him to be MVP.)
*The ending of the game was intense and had the entire crowd at the edge of our seats - especially the very last play, 10 seconds before the finish, when the game-winning shot was scored.  
*Somewhere in the craziness of that play, one of the players ended up on the ground, with what I imagine was a broken nose.  That's right, we even got blood on the ice.

So, to recap: tour, fight, hockey puck net diver man, junior MVP, photo finish, and blood.  Best. Game. Ever.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

I've always wanted to go to a hockey game! What other team sport allows fighting? Until someone starts a team kickboxing league, hockey is THE awesome.

Jason and Dana said...

Hockey games can be so fun!! And then they can be really really boring. The sad thing is it's the fights that make them good. I remember being weirded out after one game how okay it is to fight in hockey games. If anyone from any other sport (NBA is what I was thinking) got into a fight like that they'd be suspended for multiple games. The crazy world of hockey...
Now this tour you went on....did you just get past security guards and run for it? That was the impression I got.

abbynormal said...

I should clarify. "Sprint" may have been a little strong. Our tour guide was rushed because the game was starting soon. So when we got to the basement, he said one or two words about putting together the basketball court and then said that we couldn't stop as we walked by all the locker rooms and NO PICTURES. That was about it.

Jason and Dana said...

If only I would have known of your Zamboni obsesion. Back in Boise I knew a guy that drove the Zamboi at Idaho Ice world. Maybe in another life.
Jason