Sunday, September 14, 2008

Retreat from real life

So, I don't have class on Wednesdays, isn't that cool? Last week I decided to take advantage of it. Jeph and I headed over to the waterfront and went kayaking on the beautiful, clear Potomac River - something I've wanted to do for some time, despite the actual disgustingness of the water. It was a great time exploring under Key Bridge and around George- town (pictured behind us) and discussing how we wanted to invent a combination kayak/paddle boat and call it Kttksvrdrdgn. Marcia and I have since decided that Jeph has secret Jedi powers that enable him to convince people that not only do they want to do whatever Jeph wants to do, but also that it's the greatest and most fun idea they've ever heard. And in all fairness, it usually is.














This weekend was my ward's annual big "camping" trip/retreat at Camp Greentop. Always a fun chance to make new friends, catch up with old friends I'd been thinking about, and just chill out and enjoy the beauty that is nature. Which I needed. We even pulled out our home-made game of horseshoes (except it's with golf balls on strings that you try to wrap around PVC pipes. It's more fun!)

















and we got some new fans!













Our service project got rained out, so a few of us took a side trip to Gettysburg, which I'd never seen before.












Very sobering, although I've never seen such an abundance of monuments in one location before. And I live in DC!!













Marcia and I kept the tradition alive by doing a dance for skit night. Last year we fulfilled my dream, this year it was her turn:

My hands are actually bruised from how hard we clapped. We put that together in two weeks! Not bad, if I do say so myself. We also did a spoof on American Idol with all the contestants singing Primary songs. I was Paula. (I've never worn so much makeup and bling. Ever.) I told everyone they were beautiful and unique and authentic. I think I told one girl I wanted to hang her from my rear-view mirror. While this skit came secondary to me in importance, I got a lot more compliments on my Paula performance. Oh well. Sad to say, I have no pictures. You'll have to take my word for it.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Dude! I LOVE this! I am so heart broken I wasn't there to watch it live...or record it. Sigh. Oh wow, that looks so fun! Yeah for your blog!

David and Debby said...

abby,i think you went to gettysburg on american heritage in 9th grade, but you may have been asleep:)

Jason and Dana said...

That is so sad that you don't have pictures of the Paula-Abby!! And I thought the exact same thing as mom when you said you've never been to Gettysburg. I know I've been there.
That clap-thingy skit is amazing! And I don't think everyone realized when they were cheering you can't hear the slapping.
What a life Gabby Lee.

abbynormal said...

I think you're both right. I think I actually commented about that when we were driving through. "Last time I was here I was in 9th grade!" It feels like that was another life...