Sunday, August 08, 2010

Summertime and the Livin's Easy

Despite the humidity and masses of tourists, DC is an excellent place to be in the summer. Especially if you're friends with fun people. Which I am.

Here's proof.

This year was my first Independence Day in the US since 2007. So, of course, we made it good. David and I went camping that weekend. Sort of.

Yes, that's our backyard. We dined on popcorn and hot chocolate and slept soundly on a mat made of memory foam.

We also made some killer pancakes.

(The regular-looking one is actually the Death Star. Bonus points if you figured that out before I said it.)

And, of course, we took advantage of our location by biking down the Mt. Vernon trail to a fantastic lookout point for some fireworks.

See those kayaks on the water? That's where I'd like to be next year.

Here's my attempt at capturing us and the moment at the same time.

Self-portrait fail. If you'd like to actually see some quality shots, you can find them on David's blog.

Also awesome: Screen on the Green! Copycats of this pastime are popping up all over the area, but we stayed true to the original with a trip to the National Mall.

Not even the rain could keep us away. We were far too prepared for such sissy impediments to stand in our way.


And more awesomeness: Go Ape!! It's how I spend my weekends when David's away. How does one go ape, you may ask? Like this:

and this:

and a little of this:

and don't forget this:

and perhaps most importantly, this:

The trick is to embrace the swinginess. And don't forget your harness.

Can there really be more in this awesome summer? Why yes, yes there can. How about a nice game of polo in the not-too-distant town of Middleburg?



And just for fun, here are some shots of Marcia's award-winning "best wedding shower activity idea of all time."

Yes, it's true. She happens to have a belly dancer friend who came and showed us the ropes.


There's more, but I've gone on enough. If you want more, it'll be on David's blog. Eventually.

Summer is wonderful. And it ain't even over yet.

3 comments:

Emily said...

The only disappointing thing about reading this is knowing that I'm not going to get out to see you as soon as I'd like. AND, I did laugh out loud when I saw you going upside down. I did that exact thing in Guatemala.

David and Debby said...

That zip line activity is reminiscent of the Costa Rica rain forest activity following our first Peru project. Were you there, or did you have to get back to school?
Dad

Karen said...

Abby - In all seriousness, I played the zipline video 5 times - laughing out loud and loving David's laugh. Fun fun fun!!! I regret nothing.... will live for a long time.