Saturday, April 03, 2010

On the move...

Last weekend I vacated what was my place of residence for the past 5 years.
A moment of silence to reminisce and commemorate the end of an era, please.

my old room before the move...


...during... (yes, it's true that I slept in a sleeping bag on my bare mattress on the last night)


...and after. Weird. I'm glad I won't be around when the landlord paints my walls back to boring bone white.

It's going to take me awhile to wrap my mind around not living there. It feels very surreal to not be living with those girls. We've been telling everyone that the house imploded on its own awesomeness.

But on the plus side, I get fabulous sunset views from my room in my new humble abode. And it will be David's humble abode too, come June.
That's happy.
Everyone in my house moved out and didn't replace ourselves, which meant we also had to move out at least a decade of other girls' belongings that had been left behind as people have cycled through this house. Foutons, linens, bikes, cabinets, rugs, kitchen utensils, appliances, and lots and lots of other little (or not-so-little) knickknacks. I think we just singlehandedly kept Goodwill fully stocked for about a month.

As you can imagine, five years of buildup has left me with plenty of stuff too. (Granted, this isn't all mine...but you get the idea.)
All 15 members of Team Move joined forces for a flurry of loading, unloading, scrubbing, sweeping, raking, and emptying. It was a humbling reminder of what awesome friends I have.

Goodbye, 22206. I'll miss most things about you.


Hello, 22202. I'm excited to get to know you.


In other news...it's Cherry Blossom Festival time!! David and I got up extra-early one day this week to catch the beauty and beat the crowds. Beauty, check. Lack of crowds...not so much. Ah well, still totally worth it.
Happy Easter/Conference weekend!

10 comments:

Jason and Dana said...

How can I see your videos Abby? I'm excited to see your new place!

Emily said...

Oh! OH! Pick me! I know the answer to the David Question: Lady Gaga Paparazzi.

David Chipman said...

That's an awesome post! (Nice house by the way!)

David Chipman said...

Man, Emily nailed it right on the head!That's exactly what I was going for!

David and Debby said...

how about david croshaw at epcot, at disneyworld, at disneyland, in florida...to name a few.

Jason and Dana said...

Thanks for fixing it for me Abby. AWESOME new house!!! I was thinking young David looked like older David.

Colin & Lori said...

Sooooo, when we come to DC for the Virginia Tech/Boise St. game can we stay with you guys? Great place. Glad you aren't there by yourself yet. It makes me sad to see your old place boxed up and your room empty. I bet your landlord is sad to see you all go. Well, on to new adventures, right?

Emily said...

I don't even know what to say! Part of my heart feels so happy that you found something so wonderful, but the other part wrenches for the ending of an era! Oh the memories of that house! The parties, the choir practices, the partio lights, the painted walls! All such an essential part of 2 1/2 years of my life. Sigh. Wow, truly an ending of an era. But I do LOVE the new place!!! I love love love it! Two thumbs way up! Also, love the cherry blossom pics. I wish I was there right now! Why do I have finals?! Why do they ruin all my fun?! Well, call me soon. Let's finish our chat. Thanks for the AWESOME post! xoxoox --Em

Karen said...

What a wonderful new place for a new beginning. I loved the box spring! That's our boy!...

I love the pics of Washington DC as well. I guess I will just have to wait another 3 years to see it for myself! Karen Chipman

Jonathan Joseph said...

How were you able to find a Marriott to buy? What a great place.

Love the cherry blossoms pictures!