Saturday, October 03, 2009

And just like that, life picks up again


Muse is my current favorite band.



How does one gain this status, you ask?



Simple. They create incredible musical music with haunting-yet-upbeat sounds and thought-provoking lyrics, and then they put on a show and let me come watch.



Even from the nosebleed section, Muse gave me the adrenaline rush that only a top-notch group of musical performers is capable of. I was feeling it. It takes more than your everyday run-of-the-mill band to pull that off.



U2 also put on a rockin' show. Now that I've seen them, I feel like I can cross an important event off my list of things to do before I die.



However, I have one grievance regarding this show: too much propaganda. Just because you have a captive audience doesn't give you carte blanche to start filling everyone's heads with your ideals. Now, I can respect that Bono feels strongly about whatever given cause or issue, I think it's great that he's using his power for good. But there's a time and a place. People go to U2 concerts to hear Bono sing. With all due respect, when he's putting on a show, that's what he should stick to.



Let's talk about U2's 360-degree stage. I guess it's a big deal because it's the first of its kind or something?



It reminded me of a spider (that's right, a giant 4-legged spider). David thought it looked like a spaceship (which I think is what it's supposed to be), and Marcia was reminded of Invader Zim.

We basically ran all the way to the metro after the show, counting the hours we were saving as we passed by hundreds of people (it was estimated that metro had to cart out about 10,000 people once the show ended). Good thing we both are runners. That marks the 3rd time I've gotten to run in the last two months. Three days later, my legs were still voicing their complaints. It's glorious.

I also have another thing to add to my growing list of why David is cool.



Work sent him to California, then at the end he flew me out to play with him because he found a ridiculously good deal on flights (and also because he missed me). Needless to say, I had a fantastic weekend.

David showed me around the neighborhood he used to live in, and introduced me to some of his old favorites - like Tommy's (the closest California will ever get to Ben's Chili Bowl)...




and Venice Beach (the people-watching possibilities are endless).




I also got to meet some extended family. They're delightful people. One night, some of us had dinner (not so much dessert, not so much spoiling our dinner, just dinner) at Yogurtland. If you don't know what that place is...you should.

Naturally, we paid a visit to Sarah-Dawn. She never fails to fill my soul with joyness. We all went to the beach.



Which, by the way, means David and I made it to both coasts within the month of September - ironically, both were in O.C.


He found some dolphins...right - over - there!


David still wants to hang out with me even after he saw me and S-D in all our uncensored silliness. Isn't that great?

6 comments:

David Chipman said...

Note to self:
Tommy's - good
Hot Chocolate w/ Abby - good
Not washing the sand off my short after sitting down - BAD!

Oh well...

Those are awesome picks from the concert that I will likely plagiarize. I think we packed enough fun for one week into those 4 days! Awesome!

rebeccaV said...

Amen sista-just shut up and SING!!! Look like another awesome weekend for Abby. You and David look so cute at the concert in you matchy matchy shirts :)

Nice buns, btw...

David and Debby said...

how could you not have a great time with all that fun. see you soon!!! xoxo mom

Crystal said...

Sounds like fun, will you ever slow down?! Probably not, AND it is fun reading about your adventures.

U2 was in Charlottesville last week and we could not go. Sadness, I may never get over it.

It is still on my list, and it is all good.

Emily said...

Note to self: become a millionaire so I can go play with David and Abby. Double note to self: sleep more than I think they must have that weekend. Third note to self: dust bum after sitting on beach.

craig&susan said...

Abby you Rock! I love your never ending adventures, and it looks like David matches your pure awesomeness in that department. I can't wait to meet him...sorry it didn't happen last time.