Monday, September 20, 2010

David is the new awesome.

So, my husband is awesome. In case you didn't know.

(And if you didn't, where in the world have you been??)

This past weekend, he managed to catapult himself into all new heights of awesomeness. He had a sneaky plan that was so perfectly executed. It was beautiful. It was cunning. It was brilliant. It was so characteristically David.

It was awesome.

I knew he had some fun plans brewing, and that he was really excited about whatever it was. Even if I had tried to figure out what he was scheming up (which I didn't, since I like surprises), he threw off the scent so meticulously. All I ever managed to get out of him was that I really needed to leave work on time on Friday.

Alright, leave work on time. Check. Now what?

"Well, here are some envelopes. Open this one first."

Red Sox tickets? Hmm...I didn't think the Nats were playing the Sox this weekend...wait...

Can you guess what was behind envelope #2?

It wasn't a pony. It was tickets to Boston. Departing in one hour. David was going to be there next week for work anyway, so he decided to bring me along for a bit.

"Ooh, I need to pack!"

"I already did. Your suitcase is in the trunk."

"Did you pack my...[fill in]?"

"Yes. And probably anything else you can think of that you may need, and some extras. And your laptop, and the Conference Ensign. And your Sox hat, and your brown shoes, and your black shoes in case you want those instead."

Turns out, David can successfully pack a woman's suitcase. Aren't you impressed?


And so, in a dizzying flurry of spontaneity, I was in Boston. We dined on hot pots, we spent some time at the temple (which we'd been planning to do that weekend anyway, I just somehow thought we'd be at a different temple. For whatever reason.), we moseyed through a coastal fishing town, we cheered for the Sox and belted out all the words to "Sweet Caroline", and we took a stroll along the Charles River. And we even got to squeeze in a visit with Jonathan.

Verdict: I like Boston. It's charming.

Last time I was in Boston, I was 14 and traveling around with a posse of 9th graders. I got a much better feel for what the place is like this second time around. I think every city has a sort of pulse to it - an overall tone or ideal that defines it. If you're paying attention, you can feel it crackling in the air when you're there. If I had to describe the pulse of DC, it might be "networking." David says Boston is some sort of combination between "academia" and "Sox."

In any case, it was a fabulous weekend. Well done, David. You have truly outdone yourself. Again. The only downside was that I had to leave you behind when the weekend was over.

8 comments:

Emily said...

That is some serious awesomeness! Wow. David is one impressive guy! wow and wow. He fully packed your suitcase! I'm in awe. Now granted, you're the lightest and most low maintenance traveler ever, but still....that is an incredible feat nonetheless. Well done David, well done.

Um, I pretty much love that you still have incredibly fun adventures.... always.

You're my hero!

Jason and Dana said...

Yes, David is awesome!!! I love true surprises. Way to go David!

Jonathan Joseph said...

Like

David and Debby said...

david even remembered to call his mother in law in case i was looking for abby. what a guy!!!

David and Debby said...

Careful David - you're making all the other slugs in the family look bad, and we might have to kill you. But, we love Abby, and as long as it's for her, I guess it's OK.

Colin & Lori said...

Boston is really a fun place. I have only been once but it was for the 4th of July and it really was awesome! Glad someone is getting in some fun while the rest of us are wishing we were or could. Every time I talk about moving to Washington with the kids they include you two. I keep trying to tell Jack that that is the other Washington that is far away. I guess I should say Virginia since that is where you really live.

Lisa said...

What a fabulous story! Doesn't surprise me one bit with David! Just think...you'll have an eternity of fun surprises! Glad to see you guys are living it up!

rebeccaV said...

Wow, I'm seriously impressed!! David, you ARE awesome!