Sunday, January 31, 2010

Reclaiming the weekend

I love Sundays. It is my self-enforced break from my work and school labors. I may have some major group projects or tests on the horizon, but Sunday is off limits. My classmates and bosses know it, and they've learned that I'll always get my work done - just not that day. It takes a little self-discipline up-front when big things are coming due, but it's always such a relief when Sunday gets here. In many instances, it's my day to regain my sanity, and I think it shows in my demeanor throughout the rest of the week. (I've had classmates comment before that maybe they should give themselves a day of rest, too. I tell them it's a start, but there's a little more to it than that.) It's not that I don't do anything that day - I often spend much of my day taking care of churchy duties. It's just that I set part of my life aside - and the cares and stress that go along with it. I've been asked before if I can really afford to do that every week...in all honesty, I don't think I can afford not to.

That being said, this post is brought to you by AC's day of rest.

DC got hit with a snowstorm all day yesterday. It was delightful. I had been mourning the fact that I missed the last huge storm in December, so this was a welcome sight indeed. Naturally, when David suggested that we go to town to take pictures of the monuments and trees in the snow, I was immediately on board.



I didn't actually take many pictures. I let David be the photographer while I made snow angels and watched in delight as the big, fluffy, white flakes just kept on coming down.



We passed by our good friend Mr. Lincoln and I couldn't resist asking a passerby to document our 2.5-month mark since the last time we were there.



(It was so cold that I had to massage my face a little bit before I could make my mouth form a smile.)

Hooray for winter. Especially when there's snow.

The end.

School update: I really like all of my classes - even the ones that go until 10:30pm. A couple of them are going to be doozies, but I enjoy the content very much. I think I can pull everything off - in and out of school - this semester, but it means I need to be more disciplined with my time in the mornings than I was last semester. Please pray for Abby to have more discipline. Many garcias.

6 comments:

David Chipman said...

I love that we have posts on your blog from the one year ago today, and then from 2 1/2 months to the day from engagement. Fun!

Camille said...

I love that too!!! Can I just say how happy I am that we get to have Abby Croshaw as part of OUR family!!! Lucky us!

Emily said...

Amen Amen and Amen to the no study on Sunday thing! Of course you have the added struggle of explaining that to all your classmates, where mine generally seem to understand. I'm really impressed!

Also, beautiful pics of the snow storm!

You're amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

abbynormal said...

Yeah Princess, let's talk about impressive Sunday behavior: 19.5 credits of LAW SCHOOL all at the same time! I can't touch that.

It was harder explaining to the classmates last year because #1 it was a new concept and I had to establish the reputation, and #2 there was a LOT more group work. Now, everybody is aware that if they want to be in Abby's group, she will be absent on Sundays. It's part of the deal. :)

David and Debby said...

So you think there's really some meaning and purpose in those ten commandments, eh?

And congratulations on your 2 1/2 month engagement anniversary! What a milestone! Your marriage is going to be so much fun - every two weeks there will be cause for celebration.

Camille, All we Croshaws also can't wait to get connected to the Chipmans. Since our families are so eerily similar, do you think maybe we were all buddies in the pre-earth life? Sort of a team of Saturday's warriors?

Jason and Dana said...

You fun little birds. I just read the quotes down at the bottom of your page. They're great. That Marjorie Hinckley one is pretty much my motto for life.