Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Time to come clean...

For those of you who may still be thinking I’m living in a mud hut, I need to fess up. I’m not. I may spend a couple nights in one before I go, but the Nyali Beach area is a little nicer than that. I actually kind of live in a double-gated community (which sounds pretty cool, until you learn that almost everything here is gated). To make up for my façade, I’ll give you a tour of my real digs.

This is where I sleep (complete with mosquito net), although the mattress situation has changed. Now I actually have a mattress that is too big for the bed, so it hangs off the edges and is bowed in the middle. Aaron calls it the soft taco. I’ve actually decided this is the most comfortable mattress in the house.

Here’s the front room/living/dining area…

The kitchen, complete with propane-powered hot plate and water cooler. Fortunately, we upgraded to a refrigerator that is slightly better-equipped to handle the high volume of traffic created by five people. Maybe only slightly. But I’m grateful to Louis for the upgrade.

And here is my shower. Speaking of coming clean - do you see the water running there, in the bottom right corner of this picture? No? Let me give you a closer look…

How about now?

This is how I’ve taken my shower for the last few days, by contorting myself under that little trickle in the cold water tap that I think is meant for washing one’s feet. Since I came here two weeks ago, our water has shut off twice, and for the last three days we’ve almost completely lost all water pressure, to the point that only the faucets close to the ground still produce water. We actually have a hot water switch we can flip on, but I’ve decided it must just be for show.

Now, I don’t mind at all that my showers here are cold. I actually kind of prefer it, especially after my morning runs to the beach. And I am very happy to have access to clean, running water. I actually feel a little bad complaining about such nuances even in jest, after seeing the water that village women have access to. With that perspective in mind, I’ll just chalk this up to being part of my African adventures. Anyway, on with the tour.

Let’s step outside. This is my flat – the one on the bottom corner. Most of our complex is actually empty, but the residents we have met are very nice. Aaron is locking the door, because he’s the only one strong enough to make the key turn.

Here is gate #1. It is manned at all times. Behind the gate, you can see your friendly neighborhood mosque. This is the one that has been so kind as to remind us five times each day when it’s time to pray. So far, they haven’t missed one yet (although I confess that half the time I sleep through the first daily reminder).

And up ahead is gate #2.

I hope you’ve enjoyed your stay. If you want to come visit, you can sleep on the little wicker couch in the front room.

6 comments:

Crystal said...

Shame, shame shame. I definitely believed you. I always believe everyone. You will be happy to know in the last week, you have been getting many prayers on your behalf for strength in dealing with the primitive conditions ;-)

The drip of the water does not look like much fun. I had water like that at our house in Charlottesville for a while, it is really not much fun at all- albeit higher up and warm- but still with no pressure.

It looks fun! Keep updating!

David Chipman said...

haha... Can't say that I was fooled, but then I'd already peeked ahead at the photos....

Sounds like a great adventure, and I'm with you on the cold showers after a hot run. It makes the run and the shower that much better. Win win! Just think, when you get back to DC, you can have a hot shower while you run - oh wait, that's just the humidity. Oh well. Guess you'll just have to savor it there while you can!

Jason and Dana said...

Hahahaha, I can't believe I fell for that. But I'm glad you're not actually living there. You should bring a bucket or big cup in the shower so you don't have to contort under that little trickle and you can dump buckets/cups of water over your head instead. That's how the kids do it, hahah, bathtime and all. Looks like you're well protected with a guarded gate. I love how you say "my morning runs to the beach" so casually. That's awesome.

Jen said...

i was wondering how you all fit in that mud hut....

rebeccaV said...

HAHAHA!! It does look nicer than what I expected, but I'm not really sure what I expected! I'm glad you are well protected. Good call by Dana, use a cup. That Dana, she is smart :)

rebeccaV said...

how many shillings equals a dollar? I was just reading on your other blog and you said you pay 250 shillings for your tutor. Also, I love that the respectful way to address women is "Mama". I can see how that would be very endearing ;)