Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Mwambalazi and more

I doubt every week will be as packed as this one was (but then, I’m hoping it is). I’ll try to keep up.

We’ve had some more people moving in and out of our house, which makes it feel a lot like a halfway house. Three Coast Coconut boys have been passing through, and soon we’ll get one more intern from DC and one from Miami. Another girl is out here who works for CHOICE Humanitarian (she does grassroots technology, which she has dubbed as “grassnology”). All staying at our place. After the dust settles, there will be six of us. It’ll be tight, but I think we can do it.

I’m sharing a room for the first time since college, but I really like the girl I’m rooming with (the grassnologist). Her name is Bekah, she’s a free spirit from a small town in Utah (population 300) and she’s had such an interesting life. We seem to enjoy very similar things. She’s been out here for two months already, so she knows the area and said she’d show me around. I have a great time talking with her and she's willing to go running with me. It is a blessing to have her in the house.

That reminds me – I haven’t yet shown you what my house is like! Here it is:

Home sweet home.

Kenya’s Independence Day was on June 1, which meant we all got a 3-day weekend. We took advantage and headed south. We got to visit Coast Coconut Farms and see the process of making coconut oil.

It was interesting! They husk the coconut…

Crack it open and shred all the meat out…

Then you dry out the meat and press out all the oil.  I promised mom I'd bring some home to her, but apparently it solidifies at 78 degrees Farenheit.  That's not a problem, is it?

They even use the old shells to make charcoal. How many of you knew that coconut shell charcoal was a valuable commodity? (This is Luis Pope, one of the founders of Yehu. I can’t say enough good things about him. He is such a generous man, beloved by many people in the Mombasa area. He’s taken over 20 trips to Kenya over the last 10 years.)


We also visited Mwambalazi, Yehu’s first branch (there are now six). My first trip into the bush. It was enlightening! I got to see women everywhere wearing the traditional attire you’d expect to see in the African bush, and it was also quite common to see them carrying packages of all shapes and sizes on their head.  I didn’t actually get a pic of that yet. But give me some time, I’ll get it.  They're beautiful.  Kenyans are beautiful!

Some more sights from the bush…this is Mwambalazi's well. They use this water for drinking, cooking, and bathing.

This is the gathering place for the Mwambalazi branch meetings, and this guy is the groundskeeper.  He was sweeping the dirt to keep things neat and tidy.

We visited one family and got to meet the three wives and all of their darling children.

They weren’t afraid of us, for the most part…probably because of all the Yehu people who come to the village.

I just kept taking pictures of the kids and showing them. It was a big hit!

Imagine this, all you parents/aunts/uncles out there – kids here don’t even know what to do when a camera is pointed at them. Smiling at the camera is not a process they’ve been conditioned to do, so they just stare at the strange silver box you point at them. I am very proud of this picture. I think it’s my favorite so far. What do you see in these beautiful little brown eyes?

I’ve noticed a little trend – kids out here aren’t used to seeing white people, and I think it scares them a little. Kind of like this little guy…

I saw this phenomenon play out at church – most of the kids just looked at us in fear.  It’s a good thing I’m so determined to get on their good side.

Luis Pope is building a home outside of Mombasa because he is planning to spend a greater amount of time here once he retires. We stopped by the construction site and enjoyed his backyard…Diani Beach.  My first chance to dip my toes in the Indian Ocean.

We made a few friends while we were there.


We also visited Shimoni and Washimi Island.



In Shimoni we found the Slave Caves, where people were kept prisoner before they were carted off to the markets of Zanzibar.

It was a sombering visit.  The caves had such a thick, dark sense of foreboding and gloominess.  You could see the places in the wall where people had been chained up.

To add to the mood, when we went deeper into the cave we found that it was also heavily inhabited by bats.  Can you imagine what it must have been like, and that people actually did this to other people?  It's such a scar on the history of man.  


Church on Sunday was at the Changamwa branch. Wonderful people. And I just love how the church is always the same, wherever you go – the lessons, the doctrine, the Spirit…it’s my comfort blanket out here. But I just have to mention one comment that was made. We were talking about teaching children the value of hard work, and someone said, “Yeah, nowadays kids don’t even know how to carry water on their head!” Love it.

I went running this morning with Bekah, to see how close we live to the beach. It was glorious. We got there just in time to see the sun come up over the ocean. A-MAY-ZA-ZING. The beach here is so beautiful. The sand is white and very fine, the ocean is a beautiful turquoise blue, and there were clouds in just the right place in the sky to make for a deliciously captivating sunrise that I couldn't take my eyes off of.  Maybe next time I'll bring my camera.

After that, we turned around and booked it home, to beat the heat that most definitely would accompany the rising of the sun. What a great way to start the work week.

8 comments:

Emily said...

I'm so excited to be the first to leave a message! These posts make me crave traveling and doing what you are doing. What wonderful people and a great experience you are having! (And great pics, Abby!)

Jason and Dana said...

I kind of can't even believe this is someone I know leaving this post. And the place you live!!!! My jaw DROPPED. It's unreal and I am so envious of the experience you're having. It's so incredible!!! The kids are going to love you, no doubt about it.

David and Debby said...

ok, you had me going there with home sweet home, then i saw it in the background. or maybe it was home sweet home there, not mombasa... anyway, thank you, thank you, thank you for bringing this incredible part of the world into my consciousness. what a beautiful, beautiful world we are all blessed to live in. xoxo mom

Crystal said...

I really think you will be telling, "when I was in Kenya" stories, lessons, learning... for the rest of your life. This is your renaissance, your finishing touch. It is so appropriate that you are doing this now, at this time of your life. I am sooo soooooo envious of your experience, but also so grateful for your big updates every couple days. I was supposed to go to Benin for a month when I turned 25 and I actually used the money for a down payment on my exhouse. It was honestly, a very hard decision for me because I have always felt drawn to Africa (particularly the children.) I think it was too many episodes of "Feed the Children" when I was little. Anyway, good for you.

I am so happy for you.

Coconut oil will be fine after it solidifies, just think Crisco ;-)

Anyway, live it up, girl! Experience it all and then some more, your time is flying by so fast already!

Leslie said...

Loved your pictures. So many of them reminded me of my mission. (Don't you hate it when people say that.) Expect the one of the 3 wives.

Did I ever tell you about my friend from the Ivory Coast who had 23 siblings. His dad also had 3 wives, but he was also a tribal chief. Remind me to tell you about some of the disputes he had to resolve for his people. It was fascinating. It's strange what's normal in some cultures, but very cool that you're getting to experience so much.

I'm so glad you're having such a good time. I'm with Crystal--enjoy every minute! It's going to be over before you know it.

David and Debby said...

Impressive, good stuff. This is sort of a mini-mission for you (without the proselyting.) Also reminds me of my mission - If you don't get a picture of a woman carrying stuff on her head, I've got one you can say was from there. Only problem is, she's the wrong color and eye shape.

Anyway, go for it and build some great memories as well as passions for the future. You have a gift for creating adventure and for seeing the bright side of everything, blossoming wherever you plant your feet. That is a very attractive characterisitic, and because of it, nothing will ever be too difficult for you, and you will always have tremendous influence on others. Carry on. Can't wait to see the next post.
Dad

Crystal said...

I thought of you when I read this: it is from a site that I visit for ideas and help with teaching Young Women.

http://beginningsnew.blogspot.com/2009/06/micro-lending-for-mutual-activity.html

Colin & Lori said...

One thing black kids on this side of the world aren't used to is hairy arms. Little black kids on my mission used to pull the hairs on my arms because it's a new thing for them to see. Last week a kid in my ER was doing it while I was examining him.
Do they do that there? (not to say you have hairy arms though, I'm just saying)
Colin