Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Why I love Institute...

Because if I work hard and put in my time, then eventually I'll get to go sailing with the rest of the Council!!

(among other reasons...but I'll get there.)

It's true, we had a retreat in Lusby, MD over the weekend with some uplifting and motivational discussions, followed by some uplifting and motivational sailing. The Masons are my new favorite people for being so generous in sharing their home and sailboats with us.

This has been the most amazing calling for me. I've gotten to work with some fantastic people who all have so much enthusiasm for whatever we've gotten to do. I'm actually a little sad to be leaving it behind for Kenya (I know, quit complaining, right?). I don't know that I've ever been so immersed in a calling and so happy and content to be a part of it. It has been a very good fit and it came about at the perfect time for me. Look at all of these happy people!


For everyone who hasn't been in DC for the past couple weeks, there was a long stretch of nonstop rainy, dreary days. I'm pretty sure it was enough for seasonal depression to kick in for more than one individual. But then, the clouds parted and the sun came out for the weekend and the evening weather was PERFECT.  It's my favorite DC weather of the year: sunny and warm, but no humidity yet. To celebrate, I took David on a night-time tour of the monuments.

FYI, using a tripod is off limits outside of the Lincoln Memorial. Don't bother verifying this elsewhere. We tried, and we were most definitely shut down. Who knew? 

(He's got pictures that are better than mine. Surprise, surprise.)

After our tour, we paid a visit to Ben's Chili Bowl. See how happy we are, in anticipation for delicious chili cheese fries??

Not pictured: our more  differenter celebration of the perfect weather - Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, as seen from a big screen in a grassy park in Rosslyn.  Aw yeah.

The end.  Two more action-packed weekends until Kenya...

6 comments:

David Chipman said...

Probably a good thing we took that picture before the chili cheese fries (while I could still fit in the frame)! What a great night! Good thing there are two more action packed weekends coming!

Jason and Dana said...

Shooooot, I totally meant to ask you to taken me to Ben's Chili Bowl when I was there last. Next time, will you remember for me?? :)

Crystal said...

That looks fun! I was totally on Institute council for 2 years and we did not retreat ever. I am glad the weather was good- we have not had much of that at all. Now it is sunny but COLD!!

Emily said...

Oooohhhh. I lOVE boating and being in the water. It's too bad you and David won't be at Lake Powell with me next weekend b/c you guys would love it! And ONE of these days I'm going to get out for the beautiful DC weather!

rebeccaV said...

You guys are happy because of chili...riiiight. You two are seriously cute together. I'm not used to all these posts, we only got one out of you last month. That mud run and scavenger hunt sounded soooo fun! What a fun life you have :)

Leslie said...

Seriously...only 2 more adventure-packed weekends? Your life is adventure packed. I don't see that ending any time soon. ;-)