Friday, October 14, 2011

My trips "east"

Since we moved to California, I've had a couple of opportunities to travel east: once to Utah, and once to Idaho.

I still have to wrap my mind around the fact that I am even further west than both of those states. In fact, I am constantly almost going the wrong way on the freeway because my concept of "inland = west" is so ingrained into my mind. But in any case. Here I am, west of pretty much everything.

The trip to Utah was spent with much of David's immediate and extended family, for his uncle Virgil's funeral. I only got to meet him when I got married, but I got to learn so much more about him this weekend. It felt much more to me like a celebration of a life well-lived, rather than a mournful time of loss.

It was also a valuable opportunity to spend quality time with David's extended family. Considering the fact that they don't all live in the same place, they're incredibly close-knit.

(Almost all of the Chipman siblings)

Since all of David's siblings were present, we took some time to just hang out together and celebrate the birthday girl!!


(This was before the surprise party at Aunt Jane's. We also made sure there were fireworks all over the valley...fireworks that may or may not have also been related to the 24th of July.)

The trip to Idaho was on my side of the family. I got to see some good friends, meet my two newest nieces for the first time, and play to my heart's content with the other kids. (Incidentally, I was too busy playing to take any pictures, but here are some shots I pirated from my sisters so you can check out these cutie patooties.)




David and I took advantage of being so close to the great outdoors by taking a bike ride with Jason.

He pretty much put us sea-levelers to shame.

Kind of a pretty valley, isn't it?

That same day, we had a Christensen reunion - complete with good food, good company, and a ginormous slip 'n slide.

Of course, David and I were fully expected to participate. And so we did.

I love being with family.

1 comment:

David and Debby said...

We love when you're with us.