Monday, June 21, 2010

Luna de miel

I'm going to go slightly out of order with this post. I've got lots of great pics from a nice little post-wedding-type trip David and I just took, and I'd really just like to share them now.

We went on a cruise. Neither of us had ever been before. We were extra-careful to choose an itinerary that was appealing to us, but our inexperience left us feeling just a teeny bit skeptical. So, we hedged our bets and extended the trip by hopping off the boat at the last stop and staying an extra week. I highly recommend this.

Turns out, cruises are awesome! And very low-maintenance, just as everyone promised me. Food was amazing. We made some new friends at our dinner table, and there was always some form of entertainment going on. (I think my favorite was the night we went clubbing. We may not have been the best dancers on the floor, but I'm pretty sure we had more fun than anyone else.)

We sort of made things up as we went and chose our excursions the night before each port, which revealed a very unexpected trend:

Grand Cayman: diving



Roatan: zip-line tour, then diving


Belize: charter plane ride to the Cayes, then diving



Cozumel/Playa del Carmen: diving in the ocean, going to church, roaming 5th Ave, and diving in a cenote (imagine spelunking...only the cave is filled with water)

Turns out we're both obsessed! Will we ever be able to plan a trip again without first considering if we'll be able to dive there?

We diversified a little when we got to beautiful Tulum: See ruins, count iguanas, be lazy, watch Mexico beat France, watch LA beat Boston, take naps on the beach, go for long walks on the beach, try to take pictures of the stars, try to find turtles laying eggs, hitch a ride from fishermen to check out the ruins again from the water at "sunrise," mourn the imminent return to "real life..."



All good things must end. But you know what? Even though we're no longer lounging around paraiso, life is still good.

10 comments:

David and Debby said...

It will be hard to top that one, and you just started. You're going to have to be creative in the future. So glad you had a great time.
Dad

Jonathan Joseph said...

I agree with Dave . . . good luck topping that, though I'm sure you will.

Those pictures are unbelievably amazing. What an amazing trip. Where to next?

David and Debby said...

wow! that water looks so inviting. wow!

David Chipman said...

Awesome water - 82/84 degrees or something like that. It was an incredible trip! I don't think we'll have too much trouble topping this one. There are too many places to visit and things to do. I think Abby said something about Papua New Ginea?

craig&susan said...

Oh my word, I want to go on a trip REALLY bad now. It looks like you guys had a great time, and the fun is just starting for you.

Jason and Dana said...

Awww you cute Chipmans. I loved the one and only cruise I went on!! It was a blast. I still remember a hula hoop contest. I didn't take part, but some little girl used 10 hula hoops. Random. Did you ever find any turtle eggs? When I went to Cancun for my senior trip we got to see a turtle laying eggs! It really was amazing!
I'm glad you guys had such a great trip!

chippy46 said...

Awe shucks, sorry to have missed the fun. No I don´t think you will ever top this one. Other trips will diferent, but this one will always be most memorable. Your pictures are incredible, especially the ones with both of you in it. Life IS good. Love,

Dad

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing your adventure. It was a lot less expensive way of enjoying it! Seriously - just continue to enjoy. There may not be sharks and zip lines but life will throw you a few curves that will demand a smile and a laugh. The adventure has just begun. My favorite picture is of the two of you holding hands and walking on the beach. I'm going to opt for that after our three year adventure. Mom

Andi said...

Hey! AWESOME! That looks amazing! Hope you're loving married life! :) What are you doing at Fidelity? And how is that going, by the way??

rebeccaV said...

I can't believe I missed this post!! The kids just got their postcards a couple days ago. Grace was so excited! Looks like an amazing trip *sigh*. Now all you have to look forward to is an amazing life :) How is the job going?